30 November 2008

CHANGE

It is axiomatic that change is stressful. People will endure a lot to avoid change; witness the majority French refusal to become involved in the Resistance during WWII.

Our church received the painful news this weekend that our pastor of nearly 12 years is leaving for another call. This is the man who shepherded our flock on the long, but amazingly wonderful trip out of the PC(USA) and into our gracious new denominational affiliation with the EPC. He is my dear friend as well as my pastor; my traveling companion to convocations in Denver, Edina, Tulsa, Orlando, Sacramento, and Bay Village, as well as countless trips to presbytery meetings. I have learned so much from him and will miss him as my pastor (although we will remain fast friends and colleagues in ministry).

Our congregation will now enter the process of calling the new pastor that God has already picked for us.

In the meantime, as frail humans we do not seek or desire change. When it is put before us anyway, we come to realize that it is only through God's grace and our faith in His risen Son that we can move on.

5 comments:

Alan said...

God be with you all as you go through the pastor search process in the EPC.

Alan

Unknown said...

I'll keep you guys in my prayers.

Rev Kim said...

It is such a difficult time in the life of a congregation when a beloved pastor leaves. I remember when "my" pastor retired after 15 years. Because we were a new church development he was the only pastor we had ever known, and he was much beloved. It hurt - alot - and it was hard to remember that God had a plan for us. Praying for you and the congregation.

Viola Larson said...

I'll be praying for you and your Church Mac. Losing a pastor is really hard.

Adel Thalos said...

In my experience it is both a time to mourn and a time of eager expectations of what the Lord might do in the life of a congregation. In many ways it encompasses the Biblical idea of hope.

My prayers are with you and your congregation in your hour of hope in the one and only head of the church -- Jesus Christ.

Adel